Children should stay in the ALTA, until adult seat belts fit correctly, usually when children are at least 57” tall.
To ensure a child is ready for a seat belt, the following is recommended:
- The shoulder belt should cross their collar bone then cross their chest cavity
- The lap belt should sit across their lower hip bones and never across their belly
- Knees should bend at the edge of the vehicle seat cushion
- No slouching; a child should be mature enough to sit with the seat belt
- positioned properly as indicated above
- The child’s back should rest flat against the vehicle seat back