The MESA follows NHTSA guidelines if a vehicle accident occurs:
- NHTSA recommends that child safety seats be replaced following a moderate to severe crash in order to ensure a continued high level of crash protection for child passengers.
- NHTSA recommends that child safety seats do not automatically need to be replaced following a minor crash.
- Minor crashes are those that meet ALL of the following criteria:
- The vehicle was able to be driven away from the crash site;
- The vehicle door nearest the safety seat was undamaged;
- There were no injuries to any of the vehicle occupants;
- The air bags (if present) did not deploy; AND There is no visible damage to the safety seat.
For more information, visit: http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/childps/childrestraints/reuse/restraintreuse.htm